Springettsbury Township -- York, Pennsylvania

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the most commonly asked questions of the Township, its Departments, Boards, Committee's and Staff. If your question is not answered below, please contact us at 717-757-3521.
Are cereal and pizza boxes recyclable?

Effective January 1, 2013, Penn Waste is the Township's residential trash and recycling hauler. At this time, please begin to recycle your cereal and pizza boxes by placing them in your curbside recycle bin, rather than in your trash bags. This will not only save space in your trash bags, but help our environment!

How do I get extra trash bags?

Extra trash bags can be purchased at local convenience stores or the Township Administration office at 1501 Mt. Zion Road.  The fee per bag is $2.75.


I need a new recycle bin. Where can I get one?

Recycle bins are available at the township office.  The 20-gallon round containers are $10 each.  If yours was broken by the waste hauler, please bring it in with you and we will replace it at no charge. 

How can I dispose of my Christmas tree?

Please check the Penn Waste website for Christmas tree collection times, typically the first full week of January. Trees can be placed curbside with your regular trash pick-up during the scheduled week. Please do not place trees in bags and be sure to remove all ornaments and lights. Questions should be directed to Penn Waste at (717) 767-4456. 

I have a large item that I want to place on the curb with my trash. What are the guidelines?

The large item must be a/an:
Appliance (call Penn Waste 767-4456 to schedule collection of appliances containing freon, e.g. air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers)
Carpet 48" max in length rolled & tied
Mattresses & Boxsprings
Car Tires Only (must be off rims)
Scrap Metal 48" max in length
Discarded lawnmowers must have gasoline and motor oil removed
Plumbing Fixtures - toliets & sinks
Washers and Dryers

All small items must be boxed. No items which are too heavy to be lifted into a truck by two people should be placed at the curb.  Additional trash bags are NOT considered a bulk item. 

Back to Top

If I cannot place rechargeable batteries in the trash, how do I dispose of them?

As of June 30, 2002, alkaline batteries should no longer be put out for recycling.  Industry changes have significantly reduced the presence of heavy metals in alkaline batteries and as a result, alkaline batteries can now be SAFELY DISPOSED OF IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD GARBAGE.  Alkaline batteries include AAA’s, AA’s, C’s, D’s, 9-volts, etc. 


Some RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES still contain potentially hazardous materials and SHOULD BE RECYCLED.  The following Rechargeable Batteries should still be recycled:

  • Nickel Cadmium- Ni-Cd
  • Nickel Metal Hydride- NiMH
  • Lithium Ion- Li-ion
  • Small Sealed Lead- Pb (weighing less than 2 lbs. /1kg.)

Most of these batteries come from items we use every day such as cordless power tools, cellular and cordless phones, laptop computers and camcorders.


Where Do Residents Go to Recycle Rechargeable Batteries?  These batteries can be recycled through the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (RBRC), a non-profit organization that focuses on collecting rechargeable batteries and managing them in an environmentally safe manner. There are a number of retailers in York County that work with RBRC to collect rechargeable batteries in their stores. For your convenience, the chart below will help you to identify your battery type and how to properly dispose of it.


Battery Identification

Some Recycling Drop Off Locations (FREE)

Alkaline (household)


AA, AAA, C, D, 9V

No recycling necessary or available. Place them in your regular household trash. Never in the recycle bin.  Only batteries labeled Alkaline should be thrown in the trash.

Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd)

Lithium Ion (Li-ion)

Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH)


Rechargeable batteries including cell phone, cordless phone, laptop computer, camcorder,  and cordless power tool batteries, as well as some AA, AAA, C, D, 9V,and any other size

GoWireless (East Market St)

Lowes (Carlisle Rd)

Nature Church (South Queen St)

Office Max (Carlisle Rd)

Radio Shack (any)

Staples (Concord Rd)

Target (Pleasant Valley Rd)
Wal-Mart (Loucks Rd)

Automotive car/truck/boat/ATV/lawnmower


Lead-acid content  (Pb acid)

Battery Warehouse (Mt. Rose Ave.)

Batteries Plus (US-30)


NOTE: Used car batteries can still be taken to any retail outlet that sells car batteries.  Under Act 101; Pennsylvania’s Municipal Waste Planning, Recycling and Waste Reduction Act of 1988, retail outlets that sell car batteries must accept the used car batteries at no cost.

Wristwatch batteries


(Usually Silver Oxide)

Battery Warehouse (Mt. Rose Ave.)

Radio Shack (any)

Batteries Plus (US-30)

Target (Pleasant Valley Rd)


**Other businesses may also accept your recyclable batteries.


Where Should Businesses Go to Recycle Rechargeable Batteries? Businesses can recycle their rechargeable batteries by becoming a partner with the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation. Businesses can get specific information about how to partner with RBRC by contacting them directly.

To learn more about battery recycling and RBRC, check out their web site: www.rbrc.org. You can also contact RBRC at:


1000 Parkwood Circle

Suite 450

Atlanta, GA 30339

Phone: 678-419-9990

Fax: 678-419-9986

For more information about the change in York County’s Battery Program, call the York County Solid Waste Authority at 717-845-1066.


NOTE: Used car batteries can still be taken to any retail outlet that sells car batteries.  Under Act 101; Pennsylvania’s Municipal Waste Planning, Recycling and Waste Reduction Act of 1988, retail outlets that sell car batteries must accept the used car batteries at no cost.


Back to Top

What is the Holiday trash collection schedule?

Penn Waste observess New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. When your collection day is on or after a holiday, collections will be delayed by one day. Example: Memorial Day falls on a Monday. Collection schedule this week is Tuesday through Saturday. Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday collections will not change. Thursday and Friday collections will move to Friday and Saturday. EXCEPTION: If holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, there is no change in service prior to or after the holiday.

Back to Top

How can I help to prevent litter?

- Always dispose of your trash in a proper receptacle.

- If you have children, teach them to do the same.

- Carry a litter bag in your vehicle and use it!

- Never throw anything from your vehicle windows.

- Always clean up your site after a picnic or other activity.

- Cover trash receptacle tightly.

- Secure your load if you carry trash or loose materials in a truck.

Who is the trash hauler for Springettsbury Township?

Effective January 1, 2013, Penn Waste is the hauler for Springettsbury Township. They may be contacted at 717-767-4456.

Back to Top

How can I obtain a Criminal History report on myself or another person?

For crimes committed anywhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, you may request a state-wide Criminal History via the Pennsylvania State Police.  You may make your request online at the Pennsylvania State Police Website.

For crimes committed specifically in Springettsbury Township, you may make your request at the Police Station at 1501 Mt. Zion Rd. York, PA 17402.  You must complete the Criminal History Request Form, and there is a $10.00 fee for each request.

How do I obtain a copy of a Police Report?

You may request a copy of a Police Incident or Accident Report either in person or by telephone.  Please refer to the Current Fee Schedule for the cost.

Back to Top

How do I register my alarm?

You must complete the Alarm Registration Form.  There is a $25 fee for a NEW Alarm Registration and a $15 fee for a RENEWAL.

Back to Top

What is the non-emergency phone number for the 911 Center?
The new Non-Emergency number for the 911 center is 840-2971 or 800-427-8347.  

Springettsbury Township Mercantile/Business Privilege Tax & the Local Services Tax Collector

The York Adams Tax Bureau is the collector of the Mercantile/Business Privilege Tax and the Local Services Tax.


Anyone opening a new business within Springettsbury Township can receive the necessary forms and information by contacting:

Employer Accounts Dept. for Earned Income Tax:  Phone:  717-812-0759  or email: employer@yatb.com.


Employer Accounts Dept. for Tax Collection Services and Mercantile/Business Privilege Tax:

Phone:  717-854-8084 or email: tcs@yatb.com.


These forms can also be accessed on their website: www.yatb.com.

Back to Top

Home | About Springettsbury | Agendas and Minutes | Boards and Commissions | Budgets & Financials | Careers | Departments | Document e-Library | Events | Frequently Asked Questions | GIS/Maps | Legal Notices & Bid Postings | Right-to-Know Request | Business | Residents | Visitors | Electronic Payments & On-Line Registrations | Township Municipal Ordinances
Printer-friendly Version