Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the most commonly asked questions of the Township, its Departments, Boards, Committee's and Staff. If your question is not answered below, please contact us at 717-757-3521.

 Who is the trash hauler for Springettsbury Township?

Effective January 1, 2023, Penn Waste is the hauler for Springettsbury Township. They may be contacted at 717-767-4456.

Back to Top

 Do I have to pay trash collection service fees if my residential property is vacant?

Yes, per Township Municipal Ordinance section 276-16:

The Board of Supervisors, in its discretion, is authorized to request proposals from and enter into an exclusive contract with a collector for the collection, transportation and disposal of regulated municipal waste, designated recyclable materials and other municipal waste generated by all residential units within the Township. If the Board elects to enter into such contract, the following provisions shall apply: 

Township Code of Ordinances, Chapter 276-16

A. All persons owning or occupying any residential unit within the Township shall dispose of all regulated municipal waste, designated recyclable materials and other municipal waste generated by each such unit only through the service of the collector contracting with the Township.
B. The handling, collection, transportation and disposal of such waste shall be in accordance with the provisions of this chapter and the terms and conditions of the contract between the Township and the contracting collector.
C. The per-unit service charge or fee provided in or determined by the contract is imposed on the owner or occupant of each residential unit and shall be paid as provided in the contract.
D. Reasonable notice of such exclusive contract and the terms and conditions thereof, including the effective date, shall be given by the Township to the owner or occupant of all residential units within the Township.


 What is the Holiday trash collection schedule?

Penn Waste observes New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. When your collection day is on or after a holiday, collections will be delayed by one day. Example: Memorial Day falls on a Monday. Collection schedule this week is Tuesday through Saturday. Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday collections will not change. Thursday and Friday collections will move to Friday and Saturday. EXCEPTION: If holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, there is no change in service prior to or after the holiday.

 I have a large item that I want to place on the curb with my trash. What are the guidelines?

Call Penn Waste 767-4456 to schedule collection of large/bulk items. Residents are permitted to schedule collection of one large item per regular trash collection day.

The large item must be a/an:
Carpet 48" max in length rolled & tied
Mattresses & Boxsprings
Car Tires Only (must be off rims)
Scrap Metal 48" max in length
Discarded lawnmowers must have gasoline and motor oil removed
Plumbing Fixtures - toliets & sinks
Washers and Dryers

All small items must be boxed. No items which are too heavy to be lifted into a truck by two people should be placed at the curb.  Additional trash bags are NOT considered a bulk item. 

Back to Top

 How do I get extra trash bags?

Extra trash bags can be purchased at the Township Administration office, temporarily located at 3501 N. Sherman Street Ext.  The fee per bag is $5.00.

 Are cereal and pizza boxes recyclable?

Penn Waste, the Township's contracted residential trash and recycling hauler, no longer accepts paperboard materials such as cereal boxes, toilet paper or paper towel rolls, or pizza boxes. At this time please place these materials in your regular trash. 

 If I cannot place rechargeable batteries in the trash, how do I dispose of them?

As of June 30, 2002, alkaline batteries should no longer be put out for recycling.  Industry changes have significantly reduced the presence of heavy metals in alkaline batteries and as a result, alkaline batteries can now be SAFELY DISPOSED OF IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD GARBAGE.  Alkaline batteries include AAA’s, AA’s, C’s, D’s, 9-volts, etc. 


Some RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES still contain potentially hazardous materials and SHOULD BE RECYCLED.  The following Rechargeable Batteries should still be recycled:

  • Nickel Cadmium- Ni-Cd
  • Nickel Metal Hydride- NiMH
  • Lithium Ion- Li-ion
  • Small Sealed Lead- Pb (weighing less than 2 lbs. /1kg.)

Most of these batteries come from items we use every day such as cordless power tools, cellular and cordless phones, laptop computers and camcorders.


Where Do Residents Go to Recycle Rechargeable Batteries?  These batteries can be recycled through the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (RBRC), a non-profit organization that focuses on collecting rechargeable batteries and managing them in an environmentally safe manner. There are a number of retailers in York County that work with RBRC to collect rechargeable batteries in their stores. For your convenience, the chart below will help you to identify your battery type and how to properly dispose of it.


Battery Identification

Some Recycling Drop Off Locations (FREE)

Alkaline (household)


AA, AAA, C, D, 9V

No recycling necessary or available. Place them in your regular household trash. Never in the recycle bin.  Only batteries labeled Alkaline should be thrown in the trash.

Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd)

Lithium Ion (Li-ion)

Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH)


Rechargeable batteries including cell phone, cordless phone, laptop computer, camcorder,  and cordless power tool batteries, as well as some AA, AAA, C, D, 9V,and any other size



Home Depot - 2905 E. Market St

Lowes - 2449 E. Market St or 1175 Carlisle Rd 

Staples - 2915 Concord R

Timeline Arcade - 54 W. Market St



Automotive car/truck/boat/ATV/lawnmower

 Lead-acid content  (Pb acid)

Battery Warehouse (1519 Mt. Rose Ave.)


Batteries Plus (984 Loucks Rd)


NOTE: Used car batteries can still be taken to any retail outlet that sells car batteries.  Under Act 101; Pennsylvania’s Municipal Waste Planning, Recycling and Waste Reduction Act of 1988, retail outlets that sell car batteries must accept the used car batteries at no cost.


Wristwatch batteries

 (Usually Silver Oxide)

Battery Warehouse (1519 Mt. Rose Ave.)

Batteries Plus (984 Loucks Rd)


**This is not an exhaustive list, other businesses may also accept your recyclable batteries. Please check the York County Solid Waste Authority  717-845-1066 for additional resources.**


Where Should Businesses Go to Recycle Rechargeable Batteries?



Please check the York County Solid Waste Authority 717-845-1066 for additional resources.**


NOTE: Used car batteries can still be taken to any retail outlet that sells car batteries.  Under Act 101; Pennsylvania’s Municipal Waste Planning, Recycling and Waste Reduction Act of 1988, retail outlets that sell car batteries must accept the used car batteries at no cost.


Back to Top

 How can I dispose of my Christmas tree?

Please check the Penn Waste website for Christmas tree collection times, typically the first full week of January. Trees can be placed curbside with your regular trash pick-up during the scheduled week. Please do not place trees in bags and be sure to remove all ornaments and lights. Questions should be directed to Penn Waste at (717) 767-4456. 

 How can I help to prevent litter?

- Always dispose of your trash in a proper receptacle.

- If you have children, teach them to do the same.

- Carry a litter bag in your vehicle and use it!

- Never throw anything from your vehicle windows.

- Always clean up your site after a picnic or other activity.

- Cover trash receptacle tightly.

- Secure your load if you carry trash or loose materials in a truck.

 How do I obtain a copy of a Police Report?

You may request a copy of a Police Incident or Accident Report either in person or by telephone.  Please refer to the Current Fee Schedule for the cost.

Back to Top

 How can I obtain a Criminal History report on myself or another person?

For crimes committed anywhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, you may request a state-wide Criminal History via the Pennsylvania State Police.  You may make your request online at the Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History Background Check or EPATCH.

For crimes committed specifically in Springettsbury Township, you may make your request at the Police Station at 1501 Mt. Zion Rd. York, PA 17402.  You must complete the Criminal History Request Form, and there is a $10.00 fee for each request.

 What is the non-emergency phone number for the 911 Center?

The new Non-Emergency number for the 911 center is 717-840-2971.  

 Who is the township Mercantile/Business Privilege Tax & the Local Services Tax Collector?

The York Adams Tax Bureau is the collector of the Mercantile/Business Privilege Tax and the Local Services Tax.

Anyone opening a new business within Springettsbury Township can receive the necessary forms and information by contacting:

Employer Accounts Dept. for Earned Income Tax:  Phone:  717-812-0759  or email:


Employer Accounts Dept. for Tax Collection Services and Mercantile/Business Privilege Tax:

Phone:  717-854-8084 or email:


These forms can also be accessed on their website: